Today’s Table – Shantung Silk Scarf

I have been working on a few projects for another swap I’m doing on Ravelry at the moment. The theme is Super Heroes, and I don’t really want to post pictures of those projects until after they’ve been received in case I’m being stalked for information! So you’ll have to wait a little while for those pictures. I’ve been working hard on them and they’ve been taking up most of my time!

But, you’re all in luck! I have also been unable to put down some of the beautiful new fibres I came home from the craft fair with, so I thought I’d show them all off to you!

Though I’ll begin by telling you about the one lone, single, solitary, button which is also in the picture below. I purchased it from Luena and the photo just doesn’t do it justice. It’s made of shell, so when the light catches it at just the right angle it glows with all the colours of the rainbow! I couldn’t leave it there, and I think it will make a wonderful statement piece or brooch! Maybe I can turn it into a shawl pin?

All 3 yarns I got were from Bart & Francis who just have the most amazing and inspiring collection! We spent a fair amount of time in front of their stall listening to all the technical aspects of how the yarns are made and put together. I hadn’t left myself enough budget to purchase any of the really fancy yarns (think; brushed silks, mohair, cashmere …) But I couldn’t walk past the cobweb weight baby alpaca (right), and when I got to the register there was the impulse purchase of the 100% Mulberry Silk (left)!

 photo 978c8fae-fbd0-481d-ae05-4210ad161b40_zps73afd9eb.jpg

The silk impulse purchase was aided by the scarf they had made up by the register which showed off the luster of the fibres to perfection! My photo doesn’t do it justice at all unfortunately!

Also by the register was my other impulse purchase. The Silk Shantung. It’s so fine, so delicate, and yet, being silk, a really strong fibre. The swatch piece they had made up to show off fabric made from the yarn, was soft and airy and with a simple but regular pattern. This showed off the texture of the yarn to perfection! Hence, upon coming home and having a quick flick through my stitch dictionaries, I cast on immediately.

 photo 49e402eb-3918-443b-ae6c-7b81e801fbc9_zps11290283.jpg

This is the perfect knit night piece. It’s easy to follow, and quite a brain dead knit being only 3 stitches in combination. So I can talk and drink while knitting, with little worry about going wrong in the pattern. With all that taken into account though, it still creates an airy, interesting, and textural fabric. I love it!

And yes, I am knitting with something that is the equivalent gauge and density of sewing thread on that spool. Would you expect anything less of me at this point?

The Waltz Scarf

After being asked about the red creation I was knitting the other day in the Project Bag post, I thought I’d show you the finished product.

It was just a simple scarf I was whipping up for a swap. The stitch pattern looked like this …


I finished it on Saturday (and not before time!), and set about blocking it.



And here it is pinned out.


I was going to wait to post until after it had arrived with it’s intended so as to maintain the surprise. But, they won’t know who they are until they get it, and they they’ll see it, so there’s no harm in posting pics of it here! 😀

For those who are going to ask, it’s alpaca and silk!

Nupps in Silk

I powered my way through the Percy Shawl as I really wanted to be able to post it to it’s intended recipient as soon as possible. For no other reason than I really want to give it to her.

Because I can, here is Percy in photos!



It always impresses me just how much lace needs to be blocked, and how little stitch definition you get before blocking.

Off the needles.




All pinned out.




I feel terribly bad for having no posts lined up for last week when I suddenly got busy. I’ll try and do better in the future I promise!

Percy Shawl

I have begun this shawl once before, though never finished it. I just never got my needles in the right groove. So it sat there for an incredibly long time, languishing at the bottom of the yarn pile.

But I pulled it out, ripped it back to the beginning and began again last week. A couple of nights effort and I had already done eight repeats of the first of three charts.


It’s in 100% Mulberry Silk from Fibreworks. I think the colourway was Sarsparilla …

There has also been work on the Amaryllis Mittens.


All that I have left to do is attach the thumbs! So close!